Some people get nervous visiting the dentist. Even for those of us who have spent many hours in the dentist chair, some procedures still make us a little anxious. For those circumstances, sedation dentistry is an excellent way to feel more relaxed about whatever procedure you need to go through. Dr. Kassabian and his staff understand how important it is to make trips to our Austin, TX office as comfortable as possible, which is why we offer a variety of sedation dentistry methods for our patients.
Why Sedation Dentistry Is So Important
- It’s human nature to postpone anything that makes you feel nervous or uncomfortable, and it’s never a good idea to postpone dental procedures
- Dr. Kassabian even offers sedation dentistry methods for very young patients, which can make them feel more at ease and more likely to visit the dentist on a regular basis as adults
- Thanks to advances in dental technology, there is a wide variety of sedation techniques available, so patients can choose what’s best for them
What You Should Know about Sedation Dentistry
Some people never feel at ease during a dentist appointment. Others feel anxious only on occasion. At Jester Village Dental, we believe that our patients should always be as comfortable as possible, which is why we offer sedation dentistry methods. Putting off going to the dentist is never a good idea because whatever dental problems you may have, they will only get worse with time if you leave them untreated. That’s where sedation dentistry plays a role. You can choose whichever method you prefer to help you feel more at ease during your dental visits:
- Oral Conscious Sedation — This method of sedation allows you to stay awake throughout your visit, but you’ll feel much more relaxed and may not remember everything that occurs during the procedure. You’ll need someone to drive you home after your appointment.
- Anxiolysis – This method involves use of a light sedative and is a good choice for people with only mild anxiety. You’ll remain awake but relaxed throughout your visit to our office, and you’ll be able to drive yourself home afterwards.
- Nitrous Oxide – Also called “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide is a common type of sedation dentistry. This involves the patient inhaling a small amount of gas, which will not only relax you but also make you feel just a little giddy. Because nitrous oxide wears off quickly, you should be able to drive yourself home after your appointment.
- IV Sedation – For some patients who suffer from extreme anxiety during trips to the dentist, IV sedation may be the best choice. In dentistry, IV sedation (Intravenous Conscious Sedation) consists of an anti-anxiety drug that is administered into the blood stream of a patient immediately prior to the dental procedure. Although the patient will be deeply sedated, he or she will actually remain conscious but will feel totally relaxed and at ease. IV sedation usually causes the patient to experience either full or partial memory loss, and time will seem to go by very quickly.
Call Our Austin, TX Office Today to Schedule an Appointment
Don’t put off your next trip to the dentist because of anxiety. Call us today to schedule an appointment.